Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 71

Today has been a bit of an adventure.

I got a note telling me that I have a package at the post office. Was quite curious (read nervous) considering no one has my address except the Sri Lankan immigration.

Got to the post office only to find out that I have a letter to say that there is a dutiable package waiting for me at the main post office. I feel like I'm on some treasure hunt. It better be worth all this hassle. If the person who has sent me a parcel is reading this, please tell me what it is. It'll make filling out those forms a lot easier. My boss said he's not coming with me to pick it up in case it is drugs. :P

The whole day was nice as usual. Working in my cool office while listening to Radiohead and David Grey and eating yummy Thai for lunch. 

I got a bit carried away at work (sometimes that happens) and forgot to leave on time. The buses are quite infrequent from where I work because it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. After 5:30 in the evening, the buses come every 45 minutes! When I finally got on, the driver decided that he wants to drive home instead of the assigned route.

I jumped off in the middle of nowhere to walk to the next stop on the parallel road. I was fortunate enough to overhear 2 other equally annoyed passengers walking behind me who I assumed were deciding to take an auto rickshaw home (I assumed anyway, don't know any Sinhalese to know for sure). They seemed like decent, non-creepy people, so I jumped in with them. 

I was quite content that I managed to save the money (rickshaws are pretty over priced. Much worse than Bangalore) and happily jumped off and didn't realise that I dropped my phone on the road till after I got home.

I really didn't expect to get it back, but searched the cracks in the road and the gutters nonetheless. Some shady guys watching us search finally handed it over. Battery is mangled and pretty much lifeless. Probably the effects of being run over and in a puddle. The phone is battered and bruised and minus a memory card. But I think it'll live with a new battery and some cellotape.

Phones and me have never gotten along. Sigh. 

Proof of damage. 


1 comment: