Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 125

Happy Onam! (the Kerala harvest festival)

I am one quarter Malayali and I am quite proud to say that Onam is my favourite food festival. Sitting on the floor and eating almost 20 differnt things off a banana leaf.

This year I missed out in being in Bangalore and getting to be part of an Onam Sadya. Over the weekend and today, there were so many people posting pictures of the large spread of food. It was more than enough to bring about sudden cravings.

I went through many websites for recipes. It was so hard to chose a few that I could make. But finally narrowed it down and came up with quite a menu. Cooking was quite fun and my cousin- my food stylist and photographer for all meals in low light did a great job of making it look even better.

The blog I finally chose to follow- http://www.vazhayila.com/

Top Row (L-R): spiced banana chips, apalam, cabbage thoran
Middle Row (L-R): vazhakka kalan (green plantain curry), red rice, avial 
Bottom Row (L-R): More kuzhambu, sambhar, inji chutney (ginger and tamarind chutney)




Today is my Emily's 9th birthday. How I miss my drooling, hair shedding footstool. She's the sweetest dog ever.


Two more days for my Mum to arrive. So excited.

Oh, today my Covent Garden blog post was featured on The Open Window Exchange. Extra excitement.


No comments:

Post a Comment