Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 91

We have a new plan. Every week, one of our dinners is going to be a special one based on one specific different cuisine.

We did a Thai night a few weeks ago. Today we had a Japanese feast. 
I did lots of researching since I've never really attempted Japanese before. When I was in Bangalore in June, we had quite an authentic Japanese meal at Harima. I have since been inspired. Such an interesting cuisine. So many methods of preparation and yet their ingredients remain so distinct and fresh in each dish. Such strong flavours and enough substitutes to make vegetarian adaptations.

Nen found a Japanese store where she picked up wasabi, sesame seeds, seaweed and chopsticks. We may have lacked some other essential ingredients, but in general the meal came out really well. Next time, we'll add tofu to the menu.



We were quite pleased with how it turned out that we spent extra time in serving it up and taking pictures. I was a bit too tired to take out my camera, so relied on my cousin's phone picture for this post. Clockwise starting with the rice- sticky rice, oyster mushrooms in oyster sauce, bok choy with sesame seeds, tempura fried zucchini, sushi with dipping sauce and wasabi, fried eggplant and satay sauce.

We started watching a Japanese movie (I think it was a Chinese movie actually, but I wouldn't know the difference) to add to our Japanese evening, but it was so hard to pay attention with all our focus on the chopsticks and trying not to drop the sushi in the dipping sauce.

And if that wasn't enough, we had apple pie (bought, just in case you thought we had time to bake a pie too) and whipped cream for dessert.

I'm so stuffed and there's enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow. 

Next week is either Mexican or Burmese. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment