Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 150

I took a bit of a break from blogging.

After my Mum left things got a bit busy at work. Deadlines and such. My aunt was here for a week too and then in the middle of things, I knocked out 'update blog' from my schedule. 


Rewinding time a bit to when my Mum was here. We spent a day in Kandy. We visited the Temple of the Sacred Tooth and the rainy weather actually made it so much more beautiful. There was some sort of baby dedication day and hence were plenty of families with little babies at the temple. Was quite lovely.




All roads in Kandy lead up to the lake in the centre. We loved the scenic drive through town and around the lake. Apart from the temple, the other thing on our 'to-see' list was the British Garrison cemetery. People would probably consider us a bit morbid, but I have this thing for epitaphs (my Mum does to).

The cemetery tucked behind the temple complex and a little walk uphill had a little under 200 graves going back as far as 1817, dotted between Frangipani trees. Apart from the many depressing child graves many from the same family affected by various epidemics, there were some interesting ones too. One in particular was the grandson of the author of the hymn, 'Abide With Me'. The three of us after many failed attempts and tonnes of giggling sang the hymn at his grave. :) 

Here's another that caught my attention: He was the 7th and last recorded death of a European killed by a wild elephant.



We ended the day watching quite a grand display of Kandian dances at the cultural centre. We were treated to a variety of performances from graceful peacock moves to the contrasting energetic masked dances of the spirits along with drums and tamborines and balancing poles and the grand finale of fire breathing and hot coal walking. 

I really need to finish sorting through the pictures from this trip (as well as the rest of the South African trip ones. sigh)

Her trip was so short, but still really enjoyed 4 days with my Mum- talking, watching movies, cooking for her, shopping and showing her around Colombo.

Other highlights from the past 2 weeks:

1. We have an oven and a blender. The mothers visits came with many gifts of which the oven and blender were the most exciting. So far, we've already baked apple pie, cinnamon cookies, apple crumble and chocolate cake. Fun times ahead.

2. The church picnic. We spent quite a nice Sunday at Hanwela with the church gang. How I've missed swimming.

3. Choir practices. I love that we get to start Christmas excitement early by researching Christmas music for the choir and the play. So much fun.

Speaking of music, I've decided to start a new post type on my other blog to feature new music that I come across. Here's the first one of the series: New Music 01

No comments:

Post a Comment